August 18, 2013

The Keeper Of Memories



 Tughlaqabad Fort, 2009

  
I bend my face to the earth
So I can nibble at the memories, paths hold
Of my ancestors who once cantered along, and
Where I now meander in silence.

I’ve all day to myself,
To do as I please among the ruins,
Ranging along paths, to
Secure memories on their margins, marginal or otherwise.

Every once in a while
The fort walls let up on some secrets from a long time ago,
Just enough so I’ll continue rambling among them, for
They’ve stood here a long time, alone, and bereft of the purpose,
A famous king once invested in them.

They continue to seek relevance
In the grand scheme of things their creator once sought,
Before abandoning them to the fate
The curse of an enraged Sufi, precipitated.

‘Ya rahe ujar, Ya basey Gujjar’

(It will either remain deserted or be inhabited by Gujjars*)

I’m all they have now,
The keeper of their memories,
And they,
Of mine.


* Gujjars are a pastoral community.



5 comments:

Balachandran V said...

Beautiful and haunting, Anil! How many times I have felt the same!

Riot Kitty said...

That is really wonderful prose.

Hilary said...

Absolutely lovely... the photo and the words.

Connie said...

Wonderful description, Anil, and I like the photo to go along with it too. Sounds like a place with much history.

Anil P said...

Balachandran V: Thank you. Some sentiments are bound to be common.

Riot Litty: Thank you.

Hilary: Thank you.

Daisy: Thank you. True, there's much history to the place.